TYPES OF PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
PERSONAL DATA YOU PROVIDE TO US
PERSONAL DATA PROVIDED BY A RETAILER
USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
OUR USES AS A DATA CONTROLLER
OUR USES AS A DATA PROCESSOR
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
EMPLOYEES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS
Customers of The Retail Equation are referred to here as “Retailers”. Any references to “The Retail Equation,” “we,” “us,” “our,” or the “Company” is a reference to The Retail Equation.
- Receiving communications from us, including emails, texts, phone calls, or faxes;
- Requesting more information from The Retail Equation about our products and services, including a request for your Return Activity Report;
- A Retailer or other organization with which you are employed or are a consumer provides us with certain Personal Data about you in connection with your merchandise return activity history;
- We obtain publicly-available Personal Data about you through legally permissible means.
Summary of Key Points
- Where your consent is required, we will obtain your permission before (i) sending you news and promotional material about The Retail Equation; (ii) accessing information stored on your computer or mobile device relating to your use of, and engagement with, our websites, apps, and mobile platforms; and (iii) using automated systems to analyze your content. You can withdraw your consent to online tracking and the receipt of promotional materials at any time.
- We use your Personal Data to enable you to interact with The Retail Equation and to provide you with our websites, apps, and mobile platforms, and other products or services that you request, such as your Return Activity Report.
Explanation of our core processing service – Return Authorization
The Retail Equation offers a merchandise returns monitoring and authorization service to Retailers, which service is our core processing activity. The Retail Equation collects identifying and return transaction information from Retailers, and uses that information to make recommendations about returns. When a consumer returns merchandise to a Retailer, he or she may either (a) supply a receipt of purchase for the merchandise; or (b) furnish personally identifying information by presenting a government-issued or other form of identification, such as a driver’s license, to the Retailer. The Retailer forwards to The Retail Equation the receipt information or other identifying information along with data for the return, and The Retail Equation adds the identifying and return transaction information to the return history for the consumer. The Retail Equation then reviews the consumer’s return history and, based on the retailer’s criteria, makes a recommendation about the return.
Types of Personal Data We Collect
Personal Data You Provide to Us
- Contact Information: If you express an interest in obtaining additional information about our products or services, request customer support, or request from us a copy of your Return Activity Report, we generally require you to provide us with your contact information, such as:
- your name, interest, job title, company name, address, phone number, email address, communications preferences, or username and password;
- Device and Usage Information: If you use and interact with The Retail Equation consumer website, we automatically collect device and usage information, through common information-gathering tools such as:
- log files and other information about your computer or mobile device and your usage of our websites through cookies, web beacons, or similar technologies, such as IP-addresses or other identifiers, which may qualify as Personal Data;
- User Submissions: If you post any personal or other information for public consumption to any of our websites, apps, mobile platforms, or any web-based or app-based online community that we host, which information may include your tips, updates, alerts, comments, feedback, or any other information that you voluntarily provide (your “Submissions”), we may display your Submissions on any of our websites, apps, mobile platforms, or any web-based or app-based online community that we host.
Personal Data Provided By A Retailer
If your Personal Data has been submitted to us by a Retailer, we operate as the processor of your Personal Data. The Retailer may be one with which you are employed or with which you have made a merchandise purchase or return, or with which you otherwise interact.
The Personal Data we collect about you from one or more Retailers may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Full name
- Residential Address
- Telephone Number
- Date of Birth
- Driver’s License Information
- Alternative ID information, as necessary
- E-mail Address
- Reported allegations of fraud, theft, and similar criminal activities
Using Your Personal Data
Our uses as a data controller
When we are the controller of your Personal Data, we collect and process your Personal Data for one or more of the following purposes:
- Providing, activating and managing your access to and use of the Services;
- Processing and fulfilling a request, order, download, subscription or other transaction related to the Services, including a request for your Return Activity Report;
- Responding to your requests, inquiries, comments and concerns about the Services;
- Complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements.
Where we need to collect and process Personal Data by law, or pursuant to a request you have made to us related to the Services, and you fail to provide that required Personal Data when requested, we may not be able to fulfill the request or comply with our legal obligations.
Our uses as a data processor
When we are the processor of your Personal Data, we may process your Personal Data to enable Retailers to achieve any one or more of the following purposes:
- Complying with legal and regulatory obligations to conduct due diligence and other screening activities;
- Conducting risk management activities for which there is a substantial public interest, including the prevention of retail fraud;
- Providing information that may impact a Retailer’s organization, brand, or customer base;
- Enabling informed commercial and business risk decisions.
Sharing Your Personal Data
The Retail Equation is absolutely committed to protecting the confidentiality of your Personal Data. We never share your personally identifiable Personal Data with anyone else unless absolutely necessary to perform the Services or to comply with our legal obligations, as in the circumstances described below. We will never sell any of the personal information you provide to us on this site.
Employees and Service Providers
Depending on the Services provided, we may share Personal Data with the following recipients and under the following circumstances:
- Our contracted service providers, which provide services such as IT and system administration and hosting, research and analytics, marketing, customer support and data enrichment.
- Employees and departments of The Retail Equation and its affiliated entities for the delivery of the Services, to the extent necessary to fulfill a request you have submitted via our websites, or for customer support, marketing, technical operations and account management purposes.
We also may also disclose your Personal Data with third parties if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation;
- detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues;
- protect the rights, property or safety of The Retail Equation, our users, employees, affiliates, or others; and/or
- as part of a corporate transaction, such as a transfer of assets to or an acquisition by or merger with another company.
Where The Retail Equation collects and controls your Personal Data, we may retain your Personal Data for a period of time consistent with the original purpose of collection. We determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Data on the basis of the amount, nature, and sensitivity of your Personal Data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure, and whether we can achieve the purposes of the processing through other means, as well as the applicable legal requirements (such as applicable statutes of limitation).
Where The Retail Equation processes your Personal Data on behalf of a Retailer, the applicable retention period is usually determined by contract with the Retailer. We will usually retain your Personal Data as long as it is needed to fulfill the purpose of the contract, and, where applicable, will delete your Personal Data upon expiration of the contract, if not earlier. However, we may retain your Personal Data for a variable period of time consistent with the original purpose of collection, up to and including indefinite retention where appropriate and permissible.
Upon the expiration of any retention periods, your Personal Data will be deleted in a manner conforming to any applicable state or federal laws regarding the disposal of such Personal Data. If there is any information that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete entirely from our systems, including such information stored in any offsite or otherwise archival databases to which access is limited, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further use of such Personal Data.
Our websites, apps, and mobile platforms are not directed at children. The Retail Equation does not knowingly collect or process Personal Data from children under the age of 13, and we do not target our websites, apps, or mobile platforms to children under the age of 13. Where a child is between the ages of 13 and 16 years, The Retail Equation will only undertake the collection or processing of his or her Personal Data if and to the extent that consent is given or authorized by the holder of parental responsibility over the child.
Data Privacy and Security
The Retail Equation implements a variety of data privacy and security measures, including organizational, technical, and physical measures, which are designed to protect the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of your Personal Data. While we follow generally accepted standards to protect Personal Data, no method of storage or transmission can be totally secure. You are solely responsible for protecting your password, limiting access to your computer and mobile devices, and signing out of websites, apps, and mobile platforms after your sessions. If you have any questions about the security of our websites, apps, or mobile platforms, please contact us at Info@TheRetailEquation.com.
You may dispute the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in your Return Activity Report. To do so, please submit a written request to us and reference the transaction number for the return(s) you wish to dispute as listed in your Return Activity Report. Please mail your request to the following address:
The Retail Equation/RAR
Attn: RAR Administrator
P.O. Box 51373
Irvine, CA 92619-1373
The Retail Equation is a division of Appriss Inc., a Delaware corporation with headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky. Our company is absolutely committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy.